Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Does the Center for Deaf-Blind Persons provide hearing aids?
  2. No. The Office for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing has information on their website pertaining to hearing aids and possible funding options. Please see this website for this information:

  3. How do I get help with housing?
  4. There are eight independent living centers in the state of Wisconsin. They provide assistance with obtaining low income housing. Link below provides the list of centers available.

    Should you have the dual sensory loss of vision and hearing and reside in Milwaukee County, the Center for Deaf-Blind Persons can assist with your housing search.

  5. I would like computer training, do you offer classes?
  6. The Center provides computer training to individuals who are D/deaf/hard of hearing with low vision, blind/visually impaired and hard of hearing, having problems with both hearing and vision, and deaf-blind.

  7. I need help getting a job, can you help me?
  8. The Center has a contract with the Department of Workforce Development-Division of Vocational Rehabilitation to provide job placement services in Milwaukee County to consumers who are Deaf, deaf, hard of hearing, blind, visually impaired, or deaf-blind. When working with your DVR Counselor in developing your Individual Plan for Employment (IPE), you will be provided with a list of job placement vendors. If you select this agency, our Employment Specialists will work with you to find a job.

  9. I would like to meet other people who are deaf-blind. Do you have social events or a support group?
  10. Every Monday at 2:15 p.m. the Center has a peer support group. This is an opportunity to meet others who are deaf-blind, share experiences/information, and discuss various obstacles that people who are deaf-blind encounter and how best to resolve them.

    There is a social group that meets every month except January. Events are planned by individuals who are deafblind and are usually the second Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

  11. I need help getting equipment so I can communicate with others, are there programs to help me?
  12. In Wisconsin there are two telecommunication equipment programs available to one who is deafblind. One is TEPP – Telephone Equipment Purchase Program and the other is iCanConnect (iCC). These programs provide telecommunications equipment. If you need equipment for face-to-face communication, other options need exploring.

    For information on the TEPP program, please visit the following website:

    For information on the iCanConnect program, please visit this website:

  13. I would like to go shopping and need help. Do you have anyone who can help me out in the community?
  14. For individuals who are D/deaf/hard of hearing with low vision, blind/visually impaired and hard of hearing, having problems with both hearing and vision, and deaf-blind may benefit from the services of a Support Service Provider (SSP). This person provides the assistance needed to further empower your independence.

    What volunteer opportunities do you have?

    Extra hands are always welcomed, especially at the monthly social events that usually meet the second Saturday of the month. Other opportunities could be in outreach and the provision of support services.

  15. I have items I’d like to donate. Can I just drop them off at the Center?
  16. No. The Center is a training facility and does not have a retail component.

  17. Are you a residential facility?
  18. No. We pride ourselves on being a community based organization. Individuals reside in the community and this agency provides the support and training needed to aid them with their independence.

  19. Does the Center for Deaf-Blind Persons give presentations on hearing or vision loss?
  20. YES! Outreach is vital in aiding the general population in understanding this unique disability and providing the support needed for one to maintain independence.

  21. Is there a fee for your services?
  22. We do not charge individuals directly for our services. The Center is a nonprofit 501(c) 3 organization. Whenever possible, we bill agencies for our services and write grants to offset the costs of providing direct services. Cash donations are accepted.

  23. Do you provide transportation to and from your Center?
  24. No. If needed, measures are taken to assist with transportation arrangements.

  25. Do you teach sign language or braille?
  26. Sign language and braille instruction may be provided to individuals with the dual sensory loss of vision and hearing - D/deaf/hard of hearing with low vision, blind/visually impaired and hard of hearing, having problems with both hearing and vision, and deaf-blind. This is contingent upon the individual and his/her needs and/or desires.

  27. Do you have a store where I can purchase devices such as a phone, hearing aids or computers?
  28. No. We do not sell any products.